Malaidar Indian Recipe ?
jacqui{JB}
2003-08-08 17:59:47 UTC
I'm trying to find a recipe for chicken tikka malaidar,
which is chicken tikka in a creamy, spinach based sauce
or masala. Obviously the chicken tikka bits easy enough,
but the exact concoction of the masala is what I'm as bit
vague on.
Can anyone help ?
Maybe. This comes from "The Food of India," which my husband brought
me back from his last trip to India (*next* time I want to go!), and
might be what you're looking for.

***
Chicken Tikka Masala
serves 6

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cardamom pods
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon garam masala (see below)
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon jaggery or soft brown sugar
300 ml single cream
1 tablespoon ground almonds
1 quantity chicken tikka (see below)
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a karhai or heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Add
the onion and cardamom pods and fry until the onion is soft and
startin to brown. Add the garlic to the pan, cook for 1 minute, then
add the tomato and cook until the paste is thick.

Add the cinnamon, garam masala, chilli powder and sugar to the pan and
cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream and almonds, then add the cooked
chicken tikka pieces and gently simmer for 5 minutes, or until the
chicken is heated through. Garnish with the chopped coriander.

***
Chicken Tikka
serves 4

Marinade
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 tablespoons garam masala
1/4 teaspon tandoori food coloring
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
5 cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
15g coriander leaves, chopped
100 ml thick natural yoghurt

500g skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
wedges of lemon

For the marinade, blend all the ingredients together in a food
processor until smooth, or chop the garlic, ginger and coriander
leaves more finely and mix with the rest of the marinade ingredients.
Season with salt, to taste.

Put the chicken cubes in a bowl with the marinade and mix thoroughly.
Cover and marinate overnight in the fridge.

Heat the oven to 200C (400F/Gas 6). Thread the chicken pieces onto
four metal skewers and put them on a metal rack above a baking tray.
Roast, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked
through and browned around the edges. Serve with wedges of lemon to
squeeze over the chicken.

***
Garam Masala
makes 3 tablespoons
Garam Masala means "warming spice mix." It can be a mixture of whole
or ground spices. Recipes are numerous, but they are all aromatic,
rather than "hot" mixes.

8 cardamom pods
2 indian bay leaves (cassia leaves)
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
5 cm piece of cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon cloves

Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods. Break the bay leaves into
small pieces. Put them in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar with
the remaining spices and grind to a fine powder. Store in a small
airtight container until needed.
mto
2003-08-08 18:08:46 UTC
I'm trying to find a recipe for chicken tikka malaidar, which is
chicken tikka in a creamy, spinach based sauce or masala. Obviously
the chicken tikka bits easy enough, but the exact concoction of the
masala is what I'm as bit vague on.
Can anyone help ?
Grum
There are several websites that specialize in Indian recipes. In the past I
have had decent luck getting particular ethnic recipes that I wanted by
writing to the owner of an ethnic site specializing in the particular
cuisine.
Robert Klute
2003-08-08 19:59:37 UTC
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:09:55 +0100, Graeme Stewart
I'm trying to find a recipe for chicken tikka malaidar, which is
chicken tikka in a creamy, spinach based sauce or masala. Obviously
the chicken tikka bits easy enough, but the exact concoction of the
masala is what I'm as bit vague on.
Can anyone help ?
Are you sure you have that right? I only ask because malaidar is
normally a cream sauce. Spinach dishes usually have palak in them
(palak is hindi for spinach).

If you look in Madhur Jaffery's Indian Cooking you will find a recipe
for Malaidar unday, which is hard boiled eggs in a cream sauce.

If you want chicken tikka malaidar, then you could make the sauce for
the malaidar unday and substitute the chicken tikka for the eggs.

If you want chicken tikka in a creamy spinach sauce, then look at a
palak paneer recipe (creamed spinach with fried cheese) and substitute
the chicken tikka for the paneer.
Graeme Stewart
2003-08-08 21:50:38 UTC
I'm fairly sure I do, but would stand corrected if proved wrong. The
sauce is a creamy green (the spincah, obviously) and quite mild, but
very tasty.

Robert Klute
2003-08-11 16:18:47 UTC
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:50:38 +0100, Graeme Stewart
Post by Graeme Stewart
I'm fairly sure I do, but would stand corrected if proved wrong. The
sauce is a creamy green (the spincah, obviously) and quite mild, but
very tasty.
Well, I asked around among my desi friends this weekend and nada. Most
agreed that such a dish would probably be called creamy chicken tikka
not chicken tikka malaidar. Sorry.
Graeme Stewart
2003-08-12 08:33:17 UTC
I'm going to give the Jaffrey recipe a try and see how close I get.

Thanks for the help

Robert Klute
2003-08-08 20:03:44 UTC
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:59:47 +0200, "jacqui{JB}"
Post by jacqui{JB}
I'm trying to find a recipe for chicken tikka malaidar,
which is chicken tikka in a creamy, spinach based sauce
or masala. Obviously the chicken tikka bits easy enough,
but the exact concoction of the masala is what I'm as bit
vague on.
Can anyone help ?
Maybe. This comes from "The Food of India," which my husband brought
me back from his last trip to India (*next* time I want to go!), and
might be what you're looking for.
Next he goes (hopefully with you), have him look for a copy of "Prashad:
Cooking with Indian Masters". It is my favorite Indian cookbook, and a
favorite among my Desi friends.